Top 10 Tips for Adjusting to Daylight Saving Time
Losing an hour can affect our sleep pattern leaving us feeling exhausted and drained. As a Health Coach, here are my top 10 tips for adjusting to daylight saving time and getting a good night’s sleep.
Getting enough sleep is important for mental health, physical health, quality of life and even for safety. During sleep our bodies restore and rejuvenate. Having an unhealthy sleep pattern can lead to cardiovascular issues, hormonal imbalances, increase in weight, changes in blood sugars, weakened immune system and more. According to the National Sleep Foundation, an average of 7 to 9 hours per night is recommended for adults.
Here are my Top 10 Tips:
1. Stick with the same time schedule of going to bed and waking up every day, including the weekend. This helps our body’s internal clock and can help you fall asleep and stay asleep.
2. Create a healthy bedtime ritual. Try incorporating mediation, a relaxing bath, reading, journaling or something else that you find relaxing.
3. Get your daily exercise.
4. Make sure your bedroom is providing you a good sleep environment. Check the temperature to make sure it is not to hot or cold, it should also be free from noise and bright lights.
5. Avoid heavy meals, smoking, caffeine or alcohol before bedtime. If you find yourself hungry try a small snack 2 to 3 hour before bed.
6. Power Down. Set a time at least 1 to 2 hours before bed, every evening to shut down your electronics such as phones, laptops, computers, iPad, TV, etc.
7. Avoiding napping for extended periods of time. Try limiting naps to 15 to 20 minutes in the early afternoon.
8. Get outside and get some natural sunlight.
9. Make sure your bed is comfortable, your mattress and pillows should be suitable for your body.
10. Essential Oils like Lavender, Vetiver, Roman Chamomile, Orange and Aroma Sleep are great for creating a relaxing aroma and helping with sleep. Learn more about Essential Oils.
Being healthy isn’t just about the foods we are eating, its about how we are treating our bodies. Sleep is a vital part of total body wellness. As a Long Island Health Coach, I offer support and knowledge to my clients to help you achieve your wellness goals. Schedule your FREE Wellness Consultation here and don’t forget to sign up to receive our FREE health tips as well by clicking here.
Health & Happiness